Friday, February 4, 2011

First DOUBLE review!!





First off I just want to say that I really dug the level of customer service and attainability that Matt over at W&C provides. Both pedals came with W&C pics and nice letters from Matt.

Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B #157

Construction:
-->Definitely top notch. I'm not a pedal expert or anything, but you can tell that the box is strong stuff. Everything is neatly soldered an well organized inside the box. 

Sound:
-->Starting with the blend knob in the full "wet" position (as the manual suggests) you get a thick layer of awesome-ness over your sound. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it is definitely a beefy fuzz. The shape knob will take the character of the fuzz from muffled "traditional" fuzz tones to snarling raspy fuzz. This is really interactive with the blend knob. Using the two knobs together will give you the ability to bring in the right amount of low end bite to the higher shape knob settings. I left it around the 9 o'clock position. Killer. Exactly what I've been looking for. 

One more thing. This is described in the manual, but I think that it'd be useful to post it here too. The blend and volume knobs are very interactive. As you bring the blend knob from wet to dry the sound of the fuzz tone will decrease proportionately to the amount that your clean signal is increasing. Got that? Think of it more like a clean volume control. When you bring in more clean signal, you can use the "volume" knob to bring back the fuzz .

This pedal sound great in all saturation settings. Just like the demo videos on you-tube show. And if you think that he is lying when he says that most fuzzes with a clean blend sound like the fuzz tone is sitting "on top" of the clean tone, you will hear the difference right away when you hear this pedal.

Graphics:
-->I like the new graphics better than the older, darker green graphics. Not that that really matters, but the paint job on my PPB was superb.



Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk #005

Construction:
-->Same as the PPB. Sturdy, and ready to take years of abuse 

Sound:
-->Definitely not a transparent "my-tone-but-louder" boost. Dynamically responsive, this thing is super rad. I found unity volume to be around the 11-11:30 mark with my set up. My favorite setting was between 1 and 2 o'clock. At this setting, there was a nice amount of ballsy break up (a.k.a. distortion ) when I dug in hard. Even when playing softly at the higher knob positions will yield a certain amount of hair. Dialing back your playing dynamics and/or using a volume pedal before this pedal will make a big difference on the outcome of your sound.

I used this pedal in front of my Electronix GeminiDrive v.2 and the Phat Phuk pushed it even harder for some killer tones.......no.....seriously.....killer.

I can't really describe this pedal more than that, but I definitely liked what I heard.

Graphics:
-->Matt from W&C sent me a letter along with my two pedals that said there had been a slight problem with the company that does the paint jobs (or whatever) for the Phat Phuk. There were some blemishes in the white paint on the top of the pedal that you can barely see in the pictures. The letter said that they sent the bulk of the enclosures back to the company, but he figured that I would probably rather get my pedal than to wait for the pristine enclosures to arrive. Needless to say he was right ! I don't really care about blems like that (the pedal gets stepped on remember?), but for fair warning, this might happen. He said that if the blemishes bothered me then I could send the pedal back to him and he would send me another as soon as the new enclosures get here. I'm keeping mine!


-Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment