Wednesday, March 2, 2011

TAFM VS Gnomeratron VTF (bass)

-->Battle Royal<--



Here is some more info on the Gnomeratron VTF from McSpunkle Gnome Works:

Gnomeratron VTF
SavingGrace's Sweet Mini-Review

And of course the Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine from smallsound / BigSound:

http://www.smallsoundbigound.com

Construction: Similar quality builds. Both well thought out and versatile. Solid aluminum construction on both, both ready to withstand years of service (enlistment in case of the Gnome army ).

Graphics: Both pedal's graphics are killer, IMO. The TAFM tourbox that I have momentarily is a bright yellow which adds some color to my board, but I bet the other color schemes (especially the bronze splattered ones) would be stunning as well. The Gnome on the other hand was also expertly applied and is amazing. One of the things that really sold me on the Gnome in the first place was the buyer's ability to choose from the 8 (!) killer graphics. Yes, I'm vain, yes, this was a huge selling point .

TONEZ: Alrighty here is what we've been waiting for. Battle Royal. Both of these pedals are versatile tone machines. I felt like more tones on the TAFM were instantly usable (I.E. fewer "dead" spots where something was lacking a bit), but that could be just because the Gnomeratron is SO incredibly tweakable that it takes longer to get fully comfortable with the settings, YMMV. 

What I mean is that like most users of the Gnome have probably encountered, some settings (or when switching settings) create lack of low-end weird, potentially unusable tones. I honestly think that this is mainly because of a lack of familiarity with the circuit and how all of the (extensive) controls affect the sound. The awesome thing about the Gnome is that those killer sounds are in there....all of them. Ever. 

When I got my TAFM in the mail, after a bit of knob twiddling, I quickly found my favorite setting (a grindy, articulate, ballsy fuzz). Then, in the interest of comparing all of my fuzzes, I started playing around with my Pickle Pie B and the Gnomeratron VTF. I was super excited when I found a very convincing imitation of the TAFM ballsy, grindy fuzz tone (I almost like it better, actually) on the Gnome. Needless to say I fell in love with the Gnome all over again. 

There is a ton of bass (low-end), a ton of beefy fuzz and a lot of awesome crammed into the Gnomeratron. This thing will get everything from heavy overdrive/rickenbacker tones (awesome), to brassmaster octave tones, to sweet muff tones..Its all in there you just have to be vigilant and find it.

Oh yeah, here is the settings for my new favorite tone on the VTF:

Clean(ish): 9 o'clock
Tone: 10:30 - 11 o'clock
Magic: Left (or right to taste)
Diode 1: Far Right
Diode 2: Far Right (but Far Left sounds really good for this too, adjust volume accordingly)
Octave: Right
Filter: Far Right
Fuzz: 2 o'clock
Gain: 11 - 11:30 
Gate: 2:30 o'clock
Tone: 8:30
Trim 1: 9 o'clock (looking straight at the trim knob) |
Trim 2: 2 o'clock (looking straight at the trim knob) |
Trim 3: 11 o'clock (looking straight at the trim knob) |<---Adjust the trims to taste/volume
Trim 4: 2 o'clock (looking straight at the trim knob) |

Again I have the "standard" gnome (Si, LED, Si, Ge)




Here are some more settings:


Ok here is a sweet muff (ish) tone:

Clean Blend: To taste
Tone: To Taste
Magic: Right
Diode 1: Right
Diode 2: Right
Octave: Left
Filter: Right
Fuzz: 1:30-2 (adjust with clean volume)
Gain: 10-11
Gate: 10-11
Tone: 9 o'clock

I have the "standard" Gnome (Si,LED,Si,Ge)

Also, a synth-y gated tone (sounds great with my noisebox):

Clean(ish): 10-10:30
Tone: 10:30-11
Magic: Left
Diode 1: Center
Diode 2: Left
Octave: Left (or right )
Filter: Right
Fuzz: 11-11:30
Gain: Noon
Gate: Maxed (well all the way before no sound comes out)
Tone: 2 o'clock




EDIT: I was also getting some SWEET metal-type overdrive tones out of this bad boy. Really gnarly grindy sounds that weren't fuzz per se, just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment